Thursday, April 23, 2009

Assignment 10 : My hometown, Gwangju

....................
...................
.....I am from Gwangju, the sixth largest city in South Korea. Gwang means “light” and Ju means “province.” Gwangju is a historical city in Korea. It was one of the administrative centers of Baekje during the Three Kingdoms Age. This historical city’s history can be seen at the Gwangju National Museum. Gwangju National Museum shows the ancient Mahan and Baekje culture and the Buddhist civilization from the Three Kingdoms Age. Gwangju is also called "the shrine of Korean democracy," because in May 1980, civil demonstrations took place in Gwangju against the newly installed military government of Chun Doo-hwan. Gwangju is also famous for seedless watermelons which are grown near Moodeung Mountain in the eastern part of the city. They are very sweet and delicious. I like my hometown and hope I can visit there again in the near future.
..............

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who lives there, so we often stop by on our way Yeosu to visit him. I don't know the city well but people rave about it. I haven't really spent much time there but I hope to some day.

    ReplyDelete